WE WILL HOLD THOSE BEHIND PAYROLL GLITCH ACCOUNTABLE: PM MARAPE

Prime Minister, James Marape has committed to hold those behind the Government Payroll System ‘glitch’ accountable when the ongoing investigation is complete.

PM Marape has pledged decisive action to address the critical issues surrounding the Government’s payroll system.

The glitch has not only sparked off the January-10 civil unrest in NCD. It also has adversely affected the salaries of soldiers.

Prime Minister Marape disclosed that ongoing investigations into the January 10 unrest are nearing conclusion, with a firm commitment that those found culpable will face stringent consequences.

The Prime Minister’s comments come in light of recurring payroll system failures, notably impacting the Defence Force personnel’s remuneration recently.

The Marape-Rosso administration is keenly focused on identifying the root causes of these issues, ensuring those responsible are held accountable to the fullest extent under Papua New Guinea’s legal framework, including potential suspension or termination from Government employment.

“We are wholly committed as a government to ensuring our systems operate with the efficiency and effectiveness our citizens deserve. There is no place in our administration for individuals failing to meet their responsibilities; thereby jeopardising national stability,” Prime Minister Marape said in a media statement today.

Prime Minister Marape emphasised the serious implications of the payroll system issues that incited the January 10 unrest in Port Moresby, spreading unease across the nation and endangering lives.

Acknowledging the severity of the payroll discrepancies affecting Defence Force personnel’s wages, he stressed the importance of resolving these matters promptly, citing national security concerns.

The matter was a focal point of a recent National Security Council meeting at Sir Manasupe House.

Attendees included Deputy Prime Minister, John Rosso, Minister Assisting the Prime Minister on Treasury Matters, Ian Ling-Stuckey, Minister for Defence, Dr Billy Joseph, Correctional Service Minister, Joe Kuli, and Chief Secretary to Government, Ivan Pomaleu.

Echoing the Prime Minister’s sentiments, Deputy Prime Minister Rosso highlighted the necessity of holding accountable those at fault for the payroll system’s failures, drawing parallels between the January 10 incident and the recent Defence Department payroll issues.

The responsibility to scrutinise the matter further has been delegated to Chief Secretary to Government Ivan Pomaleu, collaborating with the relevant departments and agencies to ensure such failures are rectified and prevented in the future.

━ Related News

NGCB CEO refutes payment allegations on social media

The National Gaming Control Board (NGCB) has rejected allegations of payments and donations involving former Board Trustee Steven Temo. NGCB Chief Executive Officer and Registrar...

Give us Dual Citizenship: We want to give back to our home country

166 foreign nationals in the country last week received their dual and naturalized citizenships, while nearly 30,000 Papua New Guinean-born people living in Australia...

PM Marape welcomes Australian Deputy PM Richard Marles, says PNG-Australia relations at historic high

Prime Minister James Marape has welcomed Australian Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister Richard Marles to Papua New Guinea, saying the relationship between the...

PM Marape salutes Wame Blood for representing PNG at Pacific Music Awards

Prime Minister James Marape has congratulated Papua New Guinean music group Wame Blood for representing the country at the 2026 Pacific Music Awards in...

PM Marape orders NGCB to verify alleged payments, name misuse

Prime Minister James Marape has directed the National Gaming Control Board (NGCB) to investigate serious public allegations involving payments reportedly linked to former trustee...