YOU WILL BE EVICTED WHEN YOU CAUSE PROBLEMS AGAIN: SETTLERS WARNED

The Metropolitan police command has warned individuals living in illegal settlements around the city that if they do not behave well and comply with the law any more, they will be forcefully evicted and brought to face consequences for inciting law and order issues.

The acting NCD Metropolitan Superintendent, Mazuc Rubiang issued the warning on Sunday when speaking during an open mediation at 8-Mile Settlement.  The mediation was witnessed by Moresby North-East MP, John Kaupa. The mediation was about an incident that happened on October 16 when a man was dead, and several others injured at the settlement.

Metsup Rubiang attributed majority of the city’s law and order issues to the settlement residents of Port Moresby.

Mr Rubiang said according to the police records, Mr Kaupa, Senior Inspector Gabriel Kini of the Gordons Police Station, it had been confirmed that 8-Mile Settlement is amongst the others with the highest number of law-and-order issues.

Gordons Police Station Commander Senior Inspector Gabriel Kini added that it is now time for the police to begin evicting residents of State land who do not have the appropriate land leases (titles) issued by the Department of Lands and Physical Planning.

According to him, when people relocate from the village to the city, law and order problems also increase.

He further acknowledged the difficulties the people in their home provinces encounter so they relocate to the city in search of better opportunities,

 Senior Inspector cautioned them to comply with the laws in place.

Inspector Kini stated that the police will now use force to evict people because they are settling illegally on State land, posing threats to safety and security of the city.

Commenting on the fight on Wednesday, October 16, 2024, which left a man from Marawaka dead and multiple others injured, MP Kaupa said the area on which the settlers are living is a State land.

The Marakawak people and the other mixed group of people from other provinces who fought among themselves on Wednesday were warned by MP Kaupa and the two senior police officers.

According to police brief the incident started on Monday, October 14, when a Marawaka man was caught red-handed stealing from a church and multiple other homes.

He was caught and severely wounded by the victims whom he robbed of their properties. After being saved by the police and brought to the 6-Mile Hospital, he managed to escape back to his home.

After he got back, his tribesmen confronted the other side he had stolen from and demanded payment on Tuesday, but nothing happened.

On Wednesday the same group who were all armed with bows and arrows started a fight that resulted in one of their men being killed.

Steven Kenda
Steven Kendahttp://www.thepngsun.com
Mr Steven Kenda holds a Bachelor of Art in Journalism and Public Relations from the University of Papua New Guinea (UPNG).

━ Related News

Government pushes Downstream Processing through Special Economic Zones

The Secretary for the Department of International Trade and Investment, Mrs. Jacinta Manua has reaffirmed the government’s commitment to transforming Papua New Guinea’s forestry...

PNG Power announces scheduled Easipay System upgrade to improve customer experience

PNG Power Ltd advises all Easipay customers that the Easipay system will undergo a major scheduled maintenance upgrade to significantly improve system performance, reliability,...

PNG Forestry Authority hosts National Forum to gauge views for legal, policy reforms

The PNG Forestry Authority (PNGFA) yesterday hosted the two-day National Forestry Sector Forum at APEC Haus in Port Moresby, bringing together key stakeholders to...

PNG PM Marape thanks French President Emmanuel Macron for historic visit and strengthened PNG-French relations

Prime Minister, James Marape has expressed Papua New Guinea’s sincere gratitude to French President Emmanuel Macron for the warm hospitality, friendship, and strong support...

Police shoot armed robber as three suspects remain on the run

An armed robbery at Manu Cash and Carry in Port Moresby has left one suspect wounded, while three others remain at large. One-armed suspect involved...