HELA POLICE CALL FOR VOLUNTARY SURRENDER DEFIED

The call by Hela police for the suspects, who slashed a mobile police officer’s right hand-to voluntarily surrender themselves to the police station for investigation-has been defied.

The policeman was attacked early this month at the driveway of Hela’s Enopi Police Barracks by a group of youths who was under the influence of alcohol.

Acting Provincial Police Commander, Robin Bore told PNG SUN last night that the deadline of the final call for them to surrender lapsed yesterday (Monday) at 10am but nothing eventuated as expected.

The deadline was set amicably between the police and locals following their meeting over the weekend.

“(We will) stick to plan B; go after them and arrest them,” said Bore.

The wounded police officer is being treated at the Mendi General Hospital.

Highlands Divisional Commander-Western End, Joseph Tondop said police would investigate the cause of the attack on the police officer.

WANPIS AKO
WANPIS AKO
Managing Editor who holds a Bachelor's Degree in Journalism and Public Relations from the University of Papua New Guinea. He possesses additional Diploma each in Marketing and Business Management.

━ Related News

Highlands Western Divisional Command unveils strategic plan for 2027 Election

The Highlands Western Division of the Royal Papua New Guinea Constabulary has unveiled a two-phase strategic plan last week. The strategy is aimed at protecting...

Rule of Law prevails: Enga PPC welcomes 50-year sentence for a man over two killings

Enga Provincial Police Commander Chief Superintendent Steven Harris has welcomed a combined 50-year prison sentence handed down to a 22-year-old man for two separate...

NGCB CEO refutes payment allegations on social media

The National Gaming Control Board (NGCB) has rejected allegations of payments and donations involving former Board Trustee Steven Temo. NGCB Chief Executive Officer and Registrar...

Give us Dual Citizenship: We want to give back to our home country

166 foreign nationals in the country last week received their dual and naturalized citizenships, while nearly 30,000 Papua New Guinean-born people living in Australia...

PM Marape welcomes Australian Deputy PM Richard Marles, says PNG-Australia relations at historic high

Prime Minister James Marape has welcomed Australian Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister Richard Marles to Papua New Guinea, saying the relationship between the...