PARTIAL PRIVATIZATION OF PNG POWER ANNOUNCED

Responding to public outcry over frequent power blackouts for years, Prime Minister, James Marape today (Wednesday) announced his government’s decision to partially privatize PNG Power Ltd.

This decision comes amidst the Government’s further decision to open up other parts of the country to independent power suppliers.

Prime Minister Marape told the PNG CORE Investment Week in Sydney that Cabinet has approved the decision in one of its final meetings this year the partial privatization of the State-owned enterprise to improve its operations and efficiency of power supply to Papua New Guinea.

The partial privatization means the State will continue to maintain its interest in PNGPL with the investor taking over management of the enterprise and equity- assets worth over K4 billion in the company.

This will be the second decision Cabinet has made on PNGPL, where an earlier decision was made to look at the company’s power generation, retail and distribution status.

The Prime Minister urged investors to keep an eye out for Expressions of Interest soon to be advertised, pointing out the advantage in PNG Power’s “first right to supply power” monopoly in Papua New Guinea.

“Power supply is a strategic asset and investment, and PNG Power has two important assets. It has asset that is K4 billion in total, and more importantly it has monopoly in first right of supplying power with its community service obligation that it still holds,” said the Prime Minister.

Prime Minister Marape said reforms in the energy sector have begun with the government ministry responsible ready to issue licenses to investors willing to partner his government to take power supply to parts of PNG that are out of
reach of PNGPL, as up to 70 percent of the country still remains without electricity supply.

The Prime Minister also highlighted Government’s long-term decision to move into clean, green energy in the next 20 years, while pointing out PNG’s numerous clean energy potential in hydro, thermal, wind and solar sources.

He urged investors to seriously consider this space and to look further down the line to selling power over the borders to Indonesia and Australia.

“We want to unlock power in our country by bringing cheaper reliable and cleaner power to our people at the earliest. We have more than enough sources of clean energy where hydro remains the biggest available source.

“I encourage investors to think big and take up these opportunities that are available in our country,” said PM Marape.

Steven Kenda
Steven Kendahttp://www.thepngsun.com
Mr Steven Kenda holds a Bachelor of Art in Journalism and Public Relations from the University of Papua New Guinea (UPNG).

━ Related News

PM Marape to lead PNG investment push in Solomon Islands

More than 126 Papua New Guinea-origin businesses have established investments across 18 sectors in the Solomon Islands, providing 7,500 jobs and business opportunities for...

Lufa Coffee farmers earn K268,500 through group marketing

Smallholder coffee farmers in Lufa, Eastern Highlands Province have earned about K268,500 from the 2026 group marketing season, with participating farmers receiving an equivalent...

New Porgera returns show PANGU Pati’s Resource Policy deal is working: Tovebae

PANGU Pati General Secretary Morris Tovebae says the K2.1 billion economic contribution delivered by New Porgera Limited in the first half of 2026 is...

NGCB CEO refutes payment allegations on social media

The National Gaming Control Board (NGCB) has rejected allegations of payments and donations involving former Board Trustee Steven Temo. NGCB Chief Executive Officer and Registrar...

Give us Dual Citizenship: We want to give back to our home country

166 foreign nationals in the country last week received their dual and naturalized citizenships, while nearly 30,000 Papua New Guinean-born people living in Australia...